How to Help Your Family Plan for a Major Surgery
If you or a loved one is planning for an upcoming surgery, having the support of your family is crucial for the pre- and post-operation procedures. Knowing how to help your family plan for a major surgery will, in turn, help you.
Planning for a Major Surgery
The surgery process doesn’t only consist of the scheduled procedure. A major surgery requires planning leading up to the surgery and rehabilitation after the surgery. When your family is planning for a major surgery, some questions to consider include:
- Will I need someone there with me the day of my surgery?
- Will I need someone there with me when I get out of surgery?
- Will I need rehabilitation therapy sessions?
- Can I receive therapy sessions at home or will I need to go to a rehab center?
- What does my transition home look like?
- Will I need a skilled nurse at home while I’m healing?
- Do I have a family member who is willing to be my caregiver?
Taking on the responsibility of caring for a family member post-surgery is a generous undertaking, but it can be grueling on your mental health. Plan ahead by looking into services that offer assistance for family caregivers.
If the post-surgery rehabilitation process feels like a long road ahead, our team can help. With a continuum of short-term care services, the team at Santé is here to help families plan for the weeks following a major surgery. The duration of care can look different depending on your needs, ranging from a couple of hours a day at home to a limited stay at a care facility.
Some of the home health services that Santé offers include:
- Skilled nursing, including medication management
- Physical therapy, including rehabilitation following surgery
- Occupational therapy, including restoring independence in the home
Part of planning for a major surgery is knowing who you can trust when you need help. The compassionate team at Santé knows that listening to your concerns is an important part of providing the best experience for our patients and their loved ones. Think of us as your extended family.
If you’re a family caregiver in need of support or know someone who is, we’re here to help. To learn more about the best options for respite care in Arizona, we invite you to discover the benefits we offer at Santé.