Healthy Snack Ideas For Seniors
Snacking is a way of life for many of us. It is often tempting to grab a quick nibble to tide our hunger over between meals or in the evening when watching TV. While eating healthy foods is always best, a cookie or some chips here and there usually isn’t a huge deal. But, as we get older and our metabolism and health issues change, what we put in our bodies can be critical. This is especially true to help control obesity and other health conditions such as diabetes and heart disease.
Because we at Santé care about the whole health of our patients, we have put together some ideas for nutritious snacks that are perfect for everyone:
- Fruit yogurt, especially brands containing probiotics can help restore normal flora in the gut, alleviate gastrointestinal symptoms, and regulate bowel movements. Sprinkling some granola on top can give a yogurt treat a delicious crunch.
- String cheese or diced block cheese are both filling and rich in calcium, contribute to bone strength and density and decreasing risk of osteoporosis.
- Boiled eggs are high in protein and can help maintain muscle mass and bone health despite advancing age.
- Whole wheat crackers with hummus. Whole wheat can reduce the risk of a variety of conditions including asthma, inflammatory disease, colorectal cancer, hypertension, and gum disease. Adding hummus as a dip or spread is a healthier alternative to regular dips.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, which are rich in antioxidants, can help improve vision, mental clarity, memory, energy, and overall health and wellness.
- Air-popped popcorn is easy to make and easy on the waistline, especially when enjoyed without butter, salt, or other toppings.
Great on-the-go snacks include a protein shake, a granola bar, and whole grain crackers.
It’s important to remember that adequate water intake is also critical for optimal health and wellness and even absorption of vitamins and minerals from foods in the elderly. Supplement all meals and snacks with plenty of fluids and ensure your loved one has a pitcher of water nearby throughout the day.
Finally, working together with your loved one to select and prepare healthy snacks can build your relationship and provide them with meaning and a feeling of accomplishment. To learn more about the dietary needs of seniors, visit with our professionals at Santé today.