Planning Your Rehabilitation After Knee Replacement Surgery
After knee replacement surgery, your commitment to rehabilitation plays a critical role in helping you get back on your feet and back to your normal lifestyle. The care you receive during this time is essential to a faster recovery and your surgery’s long-term success.
While some patients are able to recover at home while receiving outpatient physical therapy, many require an inpatient rehabilitation stay following surgery.
Whether you will require an inpatient stay or outpatient therapy services after surgery depends on many factors including:
- Your demographics and medical history
- The likelihood of complications following surgery
- Whether you have available help at home
- The details of your knee replacement surgery
- The proximity of physical therapy services to your home
Only a qualified physician can determine the appropriate rehabilitation plan for you. Inpatient rehabilitation is often advantageous because it provides immediate and on-site access to therapists, caregivers, and equipment.
Patients who require inpatient rehabilitation and come to us at Santé also receive other benefits that contribute to their recovery process. Here are just a few of these benefits:
- You have the opportunity to take care of yourself instead of being concerned with daily chores around the house
- You can maintain a diet conducive to healing and recovering without lifting a finger; all meals are provided
- Your medications and treatments are administered according to the doctors orders to stay on top of pain
- Physical and occupational therapy are provided on site
- Assistance with transferring, toileting, bathing, and dressing are within arm’s reach
When preparing for an upcoming knee replacement surgery (or surgeries), ask your physician now what you can expect. The sooner you know what kind of rehabilitation you’ll need, the more time you have to compare local facilities and choose the best option for you.
If you would like to learn more about how a stay at Santé can benefit you after knee replacement surgery, we invite you to contact us at any one of our convenient Arizona locations.