What To Look For In A Skilled Nursing Facility
Choosing the very best skilled nursing facility for your loved one is an important decision. It’s important to us at Santé, too. Here, we share the best tips for ensuring your loved one will receive the best care possible when skilled nursing services are needed.
- Do your homework. Research the facility online to learn as much as you can in advance and narrow down your search. Take a look at services offered, online reviews, and website blogs for the most insight.
- Prepare questions in advance. Ask about staff-to-patient ratio, daily routines, and family involvement in care planning. Ask how many CNAs are assigned on any given shift as CNAs provide over 90% of direct patient care.
- Tour each facility on your list. Note the dialog between patients and caregivers, the cleanliness of the facility, and the activities going on.
- Ask to see the current menu. Does the menu look appetizing and nutritious? Speak with the dietician to learn more about how the nursing home accommodates preferences and allergies.
- Ask for references. Many skilled nursing facilities have cared for patients who are eager to share their experience with others.
- Find out which ancillary services are offered. Some facilities are able to provide all therapies in house while others require transfer back and forth to outside appointments.
- Inquire about visiting hours. How do they accommodate friends and family of their residents?
The more you know about the facility, the more comfortable you’ll feel with your loved one’s stay and their care. To learn more about skilled nursing at Santé, call us or visit one of our convenient locations in the Phoenix and Tucson areas. We are always happy to answer your questions and show you what makes Santé an ideal place for your loved one’s care.