In-Home Patient Care | Memory Boosting Foods
One aspect of our role as in-home patient care experts is assisting seniors in healthy and enriching meal planning and preparation. Many seniors worry about memory loss and are interested in ways to boost their short-term memory and prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. What do these have in common? Planning and preparing meals with memory-boosting super foods can possibly help seniors maintain their short-term memory longer and prevent Alzheimer’s.
Add these foods to your diet at any age as frequently as possible to combat Alzheimer’s:
- leafy green vegetables like kale, spinach, and turnip greens – steam them on the side of any dish, add them to casseroles and soups, or start your meal off with a fresh green salad
- cruciferous (belonging to the cabbage family) plants like broccoli and cabbage – steam them on the side, add them to soups and dishes, make a cold salad, or eat them raw for a snack
- berries like strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries – blend them into a shake, add them to oatmeal, or snack on fresh berries to satisfy your sweet tooth
- fruits with dark skin like plums, red grapes, cherries, and oranges – eat them fresh for breakfast or an afternoon snack, blend them into a smoothie, or bake them into desserts
- cold-water fish like tuna, salmon, halibut, sardines, and mackerel – grill or broil these for a main dish, add them to a salad, or make them into seafood cakes or loaves for a new twist
- coffee, cinnamon, chocolate, curry, and cold-pressed coconut oil – consume them alone or add to any recipe to get these super foods into your daily diet
- beans, flax seeds, nuts, and extra virgin olive oil – consider using these items in your recipes to get the most out of your meal
Along with adding these super foods to your diet, you can also care for your memory by reading every day, solving puzzles, and playing word and number games.
At Santé, we take care to provide the best care for our patients. That includes offering advice on ways to stay healthy. For information about any of our services, including in-home patient care while rehabilitating, contact us at Santé or visit any one of our Arizona locations.