Paying For Skilled Nursing Services
Some patients worry about how they will pay for a skilled nursing facility stay. But there are many options available to ensure patients and residents are able to get the care they need without worrying about how to pay. Most nursing facilities work with patients and residents to arrange for payment of services, pairing them with local agencies who may be able to help.
- Medicare – Many patients’ short- or long-term skilled nursing stay is covered by Medicare. Certain eligibility requirements must be met, which can be discussed with the facility’s patient advocates upon arrival. Also discussed is which charges are covered by Medicare and which are not, such as supplies, prescriptions, private rooms, etc.
- Medicaid – Certain residents may be eligible for Medicaid, and facility patient accounts representatives are often willing to assist in the application process and advise patients and residents as they complete paperwork and submit documentation.
- Private Pay – Some residents, typically those who have assets on hand such as cash or property, pay for their skilled nursing stay out of pocket. These residents typically work out a payment plan with the facility in advance and may qualify for Medicare or Medicaid after paying a certain amount of money toward their stay.
- Private Insurance – Long-term Care insurance pays for skilled nursing stays in many cases, with deductibles or co-payments due by the patient or resident if applicable. These details are discussed in advance.
- Veterans – Many veterans qualify under programs that pay for their long-term or short-term skilled nursing stay in full or large part. If you are a veteran, ask your patient accounts representative which benefits may be available to you.
- Charity Care – Many skilled nursing facilities offer a charity care or sliding-fee scale for patients who do not qualify for other financial assistance.
To learn more about the options available for paying for a stay in a skilled nursing facility, reach out to our caring staff at Santé.< Back to Library