Nursing and Rehab | Proper Home Safety
Slips, trips, and falls are not only a leading cause of injury among senior citizens, but also a much more significant risk following previous illness or injury. As a short term care, nursing and rehab facility, we have seen patients who have injured themselves doing the simplest of activities. By taking the following measures, you can help to prevent serious injuries at home and maintain your good health:
- Keep stairwells well lit. Even if there is just a single step, good lighting can prevent missteps, leading to falls and injuries.
- Always use the handrail. Install handrails in stairwells, showers, and near the toilet to ensure you can keep your balance and prevent a slip or fall.
- Wear slip-resistant shoes or slippers. Socks can be very slippery on hard floors and cause slips and injuries.
- Clean up messes promptly. Moisture and debris on the floor can pose a risk of injury. Clean up spills right away to prevent slips and keep the floor free from clutter.
- Turn lights on at night. If you get up at night to use the restroom, turn a light on before you begin walking. A misplaced vacuum cleaner or tennis shoe is easy to trip on.
Another great way to prevent slips, trips, and falls at home is to maintain good health by exercising, drinking plenty of water, eating a healthy diet, getting enough rest, and stretching daily to stay limber. If your doctor has prescribed vitamins or medications, you should take them as prescribed to maintain optimal health.
At Santé, we provide short term nursing and rehab services to ensure you are fully prepared to return home safely following surgery, illness, or injury. We hope you never get hurt, but if you do, we’re ready to assist you with compassion and expertise and work toward future prevention together.
Contact us here for more about our short term care, nursing and rehab facility. We have locations in Chandler, Mesa, Scottsdale, and Surprise, and we’ll be opening soon in Tucson.